Monday 15 July 2013

Roseate Tern at Rye Harbour and local Little Owls

I woke early this morning so decided to make a local trip in search of Little Owls. My Mum had discovered a family group on her dog walking routine so I just had to visit and see if they'd show for me. I arrived at 5.30am to find an adult Little Owl feeding on the grass and quickly found two juvenile birds and a second adult. I sat and enjoyed the four birds for a couple of hours before setting off for Rye Harbour down in East Sussex where I've been watching reports of Roseate Tern on the reserve for the last few days.
Little Owl
Little Owl
It was nice and breezy on the coast and I made my way around the reserve to Denny Hide which overlooks the tern colony. On arrival I was greeted by another birder who said he'd been looking all morning without luck but I noticed he only had binoculars so thought that with my scope maybe I could help find them and I wasn't wrong as the third bird in my scope was indeed a cracking adult Roseate Tern. (Bird 258 of 2013) I shared the view with the other birder and we managed to enjoy a couple of nice flight views before another adult joined us and showed well flying around the pools before landing in a nice place to give scope views for around ten minutes. Before leaving I managed to get another three birders on the target for which they thanked me. Lot's of Common and Sarnie Terns about but not a single Little was seen.
Little Owl
A light lunch and a brisk walk around the antiques shops of Rye and I was on my way home where I cracked open some Amber nectar to celebrate the cracking views I'd enjoyed of both the Roseate's and the Little Owls.

Little Owl
Juvenile Little Owl
Little Owl in flight

No comments:

Post a Comment