Thursday 25 July 2013

Baird's Sandpiper at Frampton Marsh Lincs

I made another visit to Titchwell today where I finally found my first Curlew Sandpipers of the year (261)
Six birds dropped in to feed infront of Parinder hide both adults and juvenile birds with the adults showing terrific plumage and giving nice comparison with the summer plumaged Knots on site.
Knot (and a few Godwits)
Curlew Sandpiper with summer plumage Knots in the background
Reed Bunting
With the tide in the reserve held lot's of Terns with Little, Sandwich and Common all present in both adult and juvenile forms. Nine Spoonbill rested in the middle of freshmarsh and the LRPs had a couple of chicks with them which was good to see. Spotted Redshank were present with some still in jet black summer plumage. Upto six Greenshank were resting with the Black-Tailed and Bar-Tailed Godwits whilst sandpipers were represented by Wood, Green and Common. On the beach I watched a single Arctic Skua fly past.

I moved on to Lincolnshire to a new reserve in Frampton Marsh where a White Rumped Sandpiper had been reported. On arrival I was quickly on the reported bird but it showed all the characteristics of Baird's Sandpiper. Although it didn't fly while I observed it I'm pretty sure the bird will be recorded as Baird's and not WRS. Four Wood Sandpiper and a single Green & Common were also here. Frampton is a nice reserve and I'll be sure to return when I have more time to explore. With the bird ticked as Baird's Sandpiper my year list moves to 262.


No comments:

Post a Comment