Friday 1 September 2023

Osprey on the patch at Lee Valley

The Jims still wanted to see an Osprey this year so with one lingering at Bowyers Lake in the Lee Valley I asked if they wanted to give it a try today and they did so we made our way over to the Abbey arriving at noon with only the one report of it showing today at 9.10am. I found a fisherman's platform and sat down to sit it out for a couple of hours. First Kingfisher flew along the lake and then a Garden Warbler flitted around in the bushes by the flatform. An adult and juvenile Moorhen entertained on the lily pads and the Great Crested Grebes brought the humbugs in nice and close too as I sat waiting for the Osprey to show. 

At 1.05pm the Osprey arrived, did a flight the length of the lake and then on the return leg took a dip and caught a small fish before leaving at height towards Fishers Green. Knowing that it would be a couple of hours before the bird returned we left for home.

The Osprey was actually a patch tick for me which surprised me but it takes my Lee Valley list to 156 proving I need to put more effort in locally.

Garden Warbler

Great Crested Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

Great Crested Grebe

Moorhen

Moorhen

Moorhen

Moorhen

Osprey

Osprey

Osprey

The Osprey is ringed Blue 256 and can be ID'd to a bird born this year in Aberdeenshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment