Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Long tailed Shrike at Eastleach

 I took a day off from walking the reservoir today and drove Dad round to Eastleach Martin in Gloucestershire hoping he could add a life tick with the Long tailed Shrike. We set off at 5am and arrived on site around 6.30am to find the bird was already on show with about ten birders admiring it at close quarters. Dad got his tick and I managed to join the group and grab some nice images. The bird was vocal and protective of it's favoured Hawthorn bush pushing a few Whitethroats around in the process. It would fly to the fence line and drop from there to catch Bees and Grasshoppers with some regularity.

We moved on to give the Montague's Harrier a try at Churn but failed to see it before we gave up due to the heat getting the better of us.

Other birds seen today included Corn Buntings, Linnets, Stock Doves, a Yellowhammer and some Buzzard and Kites.










Glad I went back.

No comments:

Post a Comment