Wednesday 22 December 2021

Twitching the Walthamstow Dusky Warbler

This morning when the Jims asked me to go and see if we could find the Dusky Warbler at Walthamstow marshes I accepted the challenge. We arrived just after 10am and searched the area the bird was reported to be around yesterday and whilst Jim steaked out the favoured area I walked the whole area finding just a couple of Stonechats of any note. After a couple of hours our enthusiasm was slipping and we decided to head back to the car park. I thought it was worth a look along the hedge line on the car park side of the railway before we left and a short way in I bumped into another birder who said he'd heard the bird in this area so I called the Jims and we sat it out for another hour hearing the bird regularly but it didn't show for a good hour and then gave great views in the bins for all of us. Glad we made the effort in the end as the views were very good. I did have the camera with me but chose to watch the bird and not focus on trying to get any record shots.

This is my 239th bird species of the year so 2021 surprisingly won't go down as my worst year list total (which is 238 in 2010)

A goshawk on a house in Coppermill Lane

Area we found the warbler in 

more wall art

Still got one eye on the Pacific Diver (Port Talbot) and one eye on the Belted Kingfisher (Lancs) but with the car being out of use both may pass me by unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment