Wednesday 15 December 2021

More Essex birds

Dad picked me up this morning and we headed down the A127 to Wallasea Island arriving at 7.30am to find the reserve already open. Scanning from the car park we saw a few Marsh Harriers and a very distant Hen Harrier before starting to walk out to the hide at about 8am. On route we found some very confiding Corn Buntings on the sluice fence and picked up the three Twite as they flushed and flew out onto the marsh. At the hide we found three Spoonbill and watched as a male and two female Marsh Harriers put the vast numbers of waders and wildfowl up time and time again. We'd picked up several Common Buzzard and Kestrels sitting around on the marsh before a male Merlin was found sitting on top of a small bush in the distance.  As we exited the hide I picked up another ringtail Hen Harrier and as it was closer and brighter we managed to get great scope views as it hunted low over the river wall. Surprised not to see any Shorties today but I suppose you can't have everything can you.

The Black Guillemot had been reported again at Gunners Park so we made the short diversion and picked up the bird straight away as we walked up to the sea wall left of the barge pier. This I believe is my first Essex Black Guillemot and I do find the winter plumage quite special too. Lot's of Sanderling and Turnstone entertained on the shore below us and we headed home with the four ticks bagged that take me level with my worst ever year at just 238. Home in time to sort lunch for Suzanne but I did need the small fix of birding for my own well being.

Now can I find a way of getting to Port Talbot whilst that Pacific Diver is still there or will the Belted Kingfisher get pinned down anytime soon? There's also a Snow Goose and a Cackling Goose around that are all life ticks if I could find the time and motivation to go.

Onwards and upwards.

record shot of my first Essex Black Guillemot (12th record for Essex)

Wish the Twite had posed like the Corn Buntings


No comments:

Post a Comment