Saturday 20 April 2019

Red Grouse and Golden Eagles at last

I've left it late but finally found some Golden Eagles with two birds in the Findhorn Valley yesterday and then another down at Glen Strathfarrar. Although the views were distant and only possible with the scope it always feels special to see these magnificent birds here in the Highlands and completes the trip for me.

A trip down the Farr road delivered more good views of Red Grouse and a stunning tawny coloured Common Buzzard which make me look twice and was a colour variant I've not seen before in Buzzard. At Loch Ruthven a pair of Slav Grebes swam along in front of the hide and I also got my first Common Sandpiper of the year here. Throw in a supporting cast of Buzzards, Red Kites, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Raven, Ring Ouzel and Dipper and it was another good days birding in the Glens.

Year list now 218 


Red Grouse along the Farr road
Red Grouse
Glen Strathfarrar
And a happy Easter to one and all.

Loch Bienn home to breeding Black-throated Diver
Loch Garten reflections
Which one is the right way up?

No comments:

Post a Comment