Saturday 23 February 2019

A week in the forest of Dean

Just back from a week away in the Forest of Dean with my grandson with limited birding opportunities as the week was geared around ensuring he had a good time.

I added a few year ticks with Ravens in the garden of our cottage and I twitched the Yellow-browed Warbler a couple of miles from where we stayed and found my first Chiffchaff there too. I dipped on the Glossy Ibis at Newport but did manage to pick up the Red-rumped Swallow with Swallow and Sand Martin at Cmw Ivy whilst on my way down to Rossilli in search of Chough where I found a group of eight feeding by the coastguards hut at Worms Head. I had great views of several Goshawk at New Fancy and another single bird whilst walking at Mallard Pike. Hawfinch and Crossbill were seen but only as fly overs.

Year list now 169


Loads of Raven in the area
one of five Jays at Parkend
Blackbird
Kestrel at Worm Head


Little Grebe at Cannop Ponds
Nice blood moon while there.
Nuthatch at Parkend
Marsh Tit at Parkend
Mandarin at Cannop Ponds
Mallard at Cannop Ponds
Red Kite.....wouldn't be a trip to Wales without some Red Kite action.
Robin at Parkend


No comments:

Post a Comment