Sunday 3 March 2024

Waxwings in Loughton again

I've seen Waxwings a couple of times this year and I've had Waxwings in Loughton before, in fact I've had them in the garden on a couple of occasions over the years. Waxwings haven't been seen in Loughton or at least haven't been reported as seen since 2013 so when reports came through of some by Roding Valley School on 10th February I took a look but couldn't find them. Again on 24th February "a flock" was reported on Vere Road so again I took a look around with no joy and I was starting to think they could be just mis ID'd Starlings but when a report came out today of 22 by the Wickes store in Loughton less than a mile from home I couldn't help but pop out for a look and this time I did find the birds, 24 of them sat in a tree opposite the junction between Wickes and Toolstation. The birds dropped to feed on some Cotoneaster berries but were spooked by an alarming Blackbird and flew off high over the Wickes building. 








Most of the birds reported in Loughton over the years are Waxwing. They account for 28 of the 36 reports on birdguides or almost 80% so we're not exactly on the mega highway here. The other reports for Loughton include possible Night Heron and possible Spoonbill along with Great Egret, Meally Redpoll, Red Kite and Hobby. Interestingly Hobby is now annual over my Loughton garden and Red Kite can now be seen almost daily.

I might have another go if they hang around.

No comments:

Post a Comment