Sunday 3 March 2024

Great grey Shrike at Weeting

Having not been out birding since 16th February I decided yesterday that despite the horrible weather I'd give the wintering Great grey Shrike at Weeting a go and the Jims decided to join me. We arrived at Weeting late morning and parked up at ride 47 before walking into the forest for around half a mile or so to find the clearing that the Shrike has been favouring. It took a while to find the bird in the distant corner of the cleared triangle but I managed to get the other birders present onto it before leaving to walk the footpath to the east hoping the bird might eventually work its way closer and it did. It remained distant but came close enough for me to lift the camera for a record shot. Two Woodlark flushed from the footpath into the clearing and a Goshawk came up briefly with three Buzzard for company. Marsh Tit and Stonechat the only other birds of any note before the dark clouds delivered a heavy downpour that sent us and the Shrike heading for cover.



This is my first Great grey Shrike since January 2022 so having not seen one last year at all I was pleased to connect with this bird. They seem to be wintering locally in smaller numbers now which is sad as they're great birds to watch.


year list now 167



No comments:

Post a Comment