Sunday 21 April 2013

Nightingales in the Lea Valley

I was back at Lea Valley this morning, pulling into Fishers Green car park before 6.30am
I arrived to the tune of Nightingales singing and managed to grab a photograph of one, a bit distant so cropped in but nice to see a couple today along with hearing at least six birds singing.
Nightingale
As I walked around seventy acre lake I heard lot's of Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Sedge and Cetti's Warbler and a Reed Warbler was also heard which is the first I've heard at the valley this year.
A Cuckoo was heard again and a Peregrine was seen flying over. The first Common Tern arrived at the lake this morning but didn't stay around long. I managed a quick shot before the Black Headed Gulls chased it off the post.

Common Tern
On the lake the Coots are nesting and the Canada Geese now have young along with the Greylags.

Coot
Canada Goose
On the walk back I stopped to watch the Wrens as they gathered nesting material for the home they are building under the car park bridge to raise this years family.

Wren
Wren
Jenny Wren
Wren

Jimmy rang as I got home to say he'd just had an Owl fly up in front of him from the back of the lake 
He was unsure at first if it was SEO or LEO but either way a great bird for the patch, hopefully he'll be able to ID it later and maybe we'll connect with it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment