Monday 29 April 2013

Dotterel Delight

With news coming through that the Berkshire Dotterel had stayed for a third day I decided it was worth the trip. I set off at lunchtime for the ninety mile journey around the M25, across the M4 and up the A34 and arrived at 1pm in the small car park of Bury Downs. I walked a few feet along the Ridgeway path and was pleased to see a couple of birders on the target bird.

Dotterel
My first ever DOTTEREL was in my scope, a nice female bird in great plumage. This is one of those birds that's been on my wanted list since I first read bird books as a child and I was delighted to have finally caught up with one. I enjoyed the birds company for a couple of hours but it stayed quite distant and only offered me a small record shot.

The Ridgeway
Also on the Downs were Grey Partridge and Wheatear and good numbers of Red Kite circled over head.
On the way back I stopped at Lea Valley and was pleased to see a couple of Common Tern.
Sedge Warblers were calling along the river bank and a Cormorant dropped in to feed in the river too.

Cormorant
Sedge Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Sedge Warbler 


A memorable day and bird 216 for 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment