Monday 30 July 2012

Whte Winged Black Tern Alton Water

Working up the A12 today so I decided to make an early run upto Alton Water in search of the reported White Winged Black Tern. The sat nav takes me up the A12 and into Stutton. From here I take the Holbrook Road toward Holbrook and find Alton Waters car park well sign posted from here.
Following the internal road to the very last car park I quickly find the dam area that the bird has been reported from and a small group of birders are in place. As I get out of the car I lift my binoculars and I'm on the bird before taking a step.
Despite seeing it frm he car I make the 50m walk from the car park to the bank and take a couple of record shots then watch the bird for a few minutes before rushing back down the A12 for a days work.
I wanted to stay much longer to admire this visitor and as I left the car park I couldn't help thinking how fitting the exit sign was.

251 birds seen now this year and 9 left to find by the end of August for my latest self inflicted target.

Alton Water
White Winged Black Tern
White Winged Black Tern
Hope the bird can read!

No comments:

Post a Comment