Sunday 31 December 2023

Review of the year 2023

 As mentioned in previous posts I didn't get out much but did see nine new birds in 2023.

My year list was my lowest since I started recording them in 2010 with just 234 species seen.

The biggest omissions on the year list are.........

Eider, Dipper, Tree Pipit, Manx Shearwater, Little Owl, Puffin, Red, Little Tern, Ring Ouzel, Crossbill, Gropper, Twite,  Black Tern and Great Skua all evidence of how little I got out.

Best bird of the year probably the Canada Warbler but a close call with the Black-winged Kite.  

Most photographed bird in 2023 was the Bittern at Fishers Green that gave me good views at both ends of the year and was both the first and last bird I pointed the camera at in 2023

Bittern at Fishers Green


Favourite image of the year was difficult to chose but if pushed I'd probably say the below image of the local Osprey was quite pleasing and it was bird 156 for the Lee Valley patch list.


The Lee Valley Osprey (new bird for the patch)


Two new birds for my Essex (277) list with the Montague's Harrier at South Fambridge and the Canvasback at Abberton. I actually managed four Harrier species in Essex this year with the Pallid at Wallasea and the usual Hen and Marsh encounters. Dotteral my new top target for Essex now.

My Norfolk (301) list reached 300 with the Long-billed Dowitcher at Holkham and then 301 with the Cackling Goose. The Suffolk (277) list didn't move at all but my Kent (271) list had two additions with the Cliff Swallow and Solitary Sandpiper.  I had nothing new for Herts (182) but moved the London (233) list along with Night Heron at Thorndon and Lesser Scaup at Staines both within the recording area.

so that's it for 2023 now roll on 2024 when it all starts again.

Year list 234

Life list 446 

oh and a very happy new year to anyone that still reads my ramblings on this diary blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment