Monday 8 February 2021

You can't have too much of a good thing

I took a walk around the local park again this morning in the snow with temperatures of minus three when I arrived which had a much colder feel in the easterlies of the tail end of storm Darcy. I put on an extra layer pulled the snood up and the hat down and went for it. Both Short-eared Owls were hunting and both were seen to catch voles. They were again vocal and aggressive when they came close to each other. It has been a real treat to watch these Owls during their stay, I've become more familiar with behaviours over the last three months watching these birds but never tire of observing them. 

Apologies but I did take a few more shots today and share a few more here on the blog.

Light was challenging in the dull overcast skies and continual snow fall but I managed a few shots as the passed by and one even sat on the turf next to me to eat one of the voles it had caught.

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl


Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Lockdown has been difficult to say the least missing contact with family and missing travel of course but these two Owls have helped far more than they will ever know. I hope the park becomes a regular wintering spot for them in years to come but equally hope we never have another winter of lockdown like this one.

Year list still 106

In other news I had a Greenfinch and a Juvenile male Sparrowhawk in the garden this afternoon.

The Greenfinch used to be regular but it's been a while now since I saw one on the feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment