Thursday 27 June 2013

Nice day at Weeting Heath with Stone Curlew and Spotted Flycatchers

Weeting Heath has never been a favorite place for me and I don't know why just a bad experience of sitting for ages and seeing just the top of a Stone Curlews head for my effort a few years back I suppose but I decided today to pay it another visit and I was glad I did.
Stoat
Wood Mouse

Stone Curlew
Stone Curlew with chick
Stone Curlew with chick
Spotted Flycatcher

First a Stoat dancing on the path to the hide, then stonking views of a pair of Stone Curlews with chicks from West hide followed by crippling views of a pair of Spotted Flycatchers and a family of Wood Mice.
Throw in a good chat with the warden and a few visitors and watching the Stone Curlew chicks getting ringed and I have to say I had a good day there and would gladly pay to visit again.
A Woodlark was seen and a second pair of Stone Curlews further back on the heath, five Buzzard came up to ride the early morning thermals and a single Curlew was also seen. This has to be the best views I've ever had of Stone Curlew and I'd recommend anybody wanting to see them pays the reserve a visit.
NWT members free the rest of us £3.75 entrance.

NB: Photographs of the Stone Curlews taken from West Hide with no disturbance to the birds.



No comments:

Post a Comment