Saturday 4 November 2023

Stodmarsh return

With the Jims feeling a bit better on 31st October I offered to take them down to Stodmarsh to give the Solitary Sandpiper a go. We arrived at first light and I walked them out to the boat house which had been the most reliable location to see the bird for the last couple of days. It wasn't there despite a group of ten or so birders viewing the area. I walked on the check out the pools behind Tower Hide as nobody seemed to be looking for it there but after an hour I'd had no joy and they still hadn't seen it by the boat house. I looked through bins at the Reedbed hide and it appeared none of the shutters were open so I volunteered to go and do a shift in there just in case the bird visited that area. A Water Pipit dropped in and knowing the Jims needed that for a year tick I called them and they came round to tick it and have a rest from standing. It wasn't long before the phone rang to say the Solitary Sandpiper was back at the boat house pool and the Jims set up for a successful twitch before we headed back up the A2 for home.

Great Egret

Great Egret

Great Egret

Water Pipit

Water Rail

Water Rail

Water Rail

Water Rail

During my time there I enjoyed views of Great Egret, Cattle Egret, Marsh Harriers, Water Rails, Kingfisher, Bearded Tits and Water Pipit.

No comments:

Post a Comment