Wednesday 24 August 2022

Purple Heron at Weston Turville reservoir Bucks

I'm on a roll again, after hardly getting any time for birding all month I've now been out twice this week.

Todays journey involved a short drive round the orbital car park and up the A41 to Weston Turville reservoir on the edge of Bucks. A tidy little nature reserve which was new to me but I enjoyed the time there today. The target was a juvenile Purple Heron and it was showing on arrival sitting in a distant Willow where it remined for the duration of our visit. Grey Wagtail were busy finding food among the lily pads. Lot's of Red Kite flew over as did a Common Buzzard and two Sparrowhawks. There were many Swallows and House Martins hawking the lake and Phil (another visiting Essex birder) pointed out a Small Red-eyed Damselfly and mentioned it was of note so I took a pic but the last thing I really want is to be getting too interested in these right now.

The Purple Heron

Purple Heron

Purple Heron

Grey Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Purp meets Grey

Purple making a very short flight

Small Red-eyed Damselfly


A stop at Pitstone Hill on the way home gave good views of three Wheatear, a Corn Bunting , two pair of Stonechats, lots of Meadow Pipit, a couple of Skylark and a Kestrel but we failed to find any Whinchat on this visit.

Wheatear

Wheatear

Kestrel

Kestrel

Kestrel

Year list now 229 as I edge closer to my worst year total of 238.

No comments:

Post a Comment