Friday 18 February 2022

Second visit to the American Robin

This being the only American Robin I've ever seen and being reasonably close to home I decided to make a second visit yesterday. I arrived at 8.15am and found the cul-de-sac busier than I'd expected with perhaps twenty others on sight and I guess during my stay a total of sixty or so came and went. The locals remain tolerant none more so than the couple that allow a constant presence of birders and toggers at their front fence overlooking their house at close range, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with this arrangement myself.

The Robin came into the garden for about two minutes every hour and spent the majority of time feeding on worms in the paddock with the Blackbirds although the Blackbirds weren't too fond of it. It appears that the Robin sadly now has some damage to it's right leg and is in obvious discomfort so rarely puts weight on the limb.

The go fund me page set up for the local food bank stands at over £2500 now so some good can come of these twitches although the irony of the finder doing a three mile green year list only to unlease the carbon of this twitch isn't lost on me. 

I struggled to find a space to point my camera at the bird so managed only a couple of shots when it first came in along with a single roof shot and a few heavily cropped efforts of it in the paddock with very challenging direct light.

Good to see Graham J again along with John P and very good to bump into Dave A from Bempton having not seen him since we dipped a Brown Shrike a good few years back now.
Six hours on site and although I didn't quite get the shots I'd hoped for I did improve on my day one efforts.


Feeding in the paddock


American Robin

American Robin

American Robin

American Robin

American Robin

Waited on the roof a few seconds before dropping onto the berries to feed


No comments:

Post a Comment