Sunday 23 October 2016

Wheatear Double at Burnham Overy

I arrived at Burnham Overy this morning before first light. After a short wait the light came up and the rain stopped; allowing me to walk to the dunes in half light.
On the way I encountered two Barn Owl, a Marsh Harrier and hundreds of geese (Pink foots, Brents and Greylags). The bushes held large numbers of mixed thrushes and starlings.
Arriving at the dunes a small group of birders already had the Isabelline in their sights so I quickly joined them to get on the bird. The views were distant and the bird was quite mobile. Whilst here we had the unpleasant sight of a Stoat taking down a large Rabbit. I grabbed a few shots in the gloomy light but don't know why as it really was a grim thing to witness.

Isabelline Wheatear at Burnham Overy
Stoat on it''s kill
this is what they call a killer bite!
Talk about biting off more than you can chew.
Stoat v Rabbit
As we moved down the dunes the Desert Wheatear was flushed and gave good views but was again quite mobile but did make for a nice pair within a couple of hundred yards.

Desert Wheatear
I walked to the far end of the dunes but found little else of note so left in search of Waxwings failing miserably in that quest too, News broke of a rarity at Brancaster so I headed there in hope but after a short walk news came out that the bird had not been refound so I left for home and an afternoon dinner date.

Barwit
Turnstone

Year list now 271

No comments:

Post a Comment