Sunday 31 March 2013

Rainham and East India Dock Basin

Linnet
East India Dock Basin
Took a trip to Rainham followed by a very quick look at East India Dock Basin this morning. At Rainham I located three Snipe, a pair of Stonechat, large flock of Linnet, Rock Water and Meadow Pipit, two Redwing were still hanging about and plenty of Skylark sang as did Corn and Reed Bunting. On the forshore were Redshank, Curlew, Lapwing, Shelduck and Wigeon whilst Great Crested Grebe and Cormorant hunted on the Thames and a Grey Heron watched on. At the stone barges a Fox and Brown Rat wandered around the shore and a Wheatear was seen on Ferry Lane.

Blackbird
I quickly moved on to East India Dock Basin which is a new reserve for me. I noted it earlier in the week when Little Ringed Plover were reported there but none were seen on my visit. The only birds on the reserve were Tufted Duck, Shelduck and Coots but a nice place that I'm sure I'll return to when I have more time.
The reserve gives splendid views of the Millennium Dome and Canary Wharf.
Canary Wharf

Millennium Dome

Diver Sculpture Rainham

Tufted Duck

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brian

    You have more wild birds near London than we have down here in Somerset, what a great list some I have not seen for years. I wish they would stop called Canary Wharf the City of London they are miles apart and just because some of the banks now have there head quarters at Canary Wharf does not make it the City. I did not know they had made a natural reservoir out of the East India Docks, what a great use of an area instead of office buildings.
    Really enjoyed your lovely pictures and seeing bits of London.
    thank you
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete