Saturday 20 January 2024

Ferruginous duck at Eagle pond Snaresbrook

I headed over to take care of my father in law this morning via Eagle pond in Snaresbrook where a Ferruginous duck had been spotted yesterday. On arrival I found four birders and they told me the duck was asleep under the willows overhanging the small island in the western corner but after a while it moved out into the open waters and gave some photographic opportunity. At first it showed little interest in the bread being offered to the Swans as all the other ducks took an interest so did the Fudge duck eventually.

It had been diving quite a bit and being fully winged and un-ringed looked good but the fact that it came to the bread worried me with regards to it's true wild status. Regardless of it's credentials the bird is a great looking duck and worthy of the time I gave it to capture the images today. 










Year list now 150 (all be it accepting the Fudge as a wild bird)

No comments:

Post a Comment