Tuesday 2 January 2024

Day 2 2024

Well I'm year listing again and with the usual enthusiasm the new year brings I've been out for an hour on day two to chase down a few local year ticks.

A Raven over the car park at 8am was an unexpected bonus and then several Parakeets as I crossed the bridge to the Bittern hide at Fishers green added a more expected tick. From the platform I ticked Canada Goose and a single Barnacle gave me another (wild or not I've stopped worrying with these now).
Pochard and Great crested Grebe were expected and bagged before I moved onto the Bittern hide where the Bittern showed really well in this mornings rain. Water Rail is almost always present here and just as I was starting to consider a walk around the lake in the rain for Smew it did the right thing and swam across with a couple of drake Goldeneye, a nice year tick for me and a life tick for the lady sharing the hide with me.

On the walk back I had three Redwing over and a Jay in the farm fields as I drove out was a nice surprise.
Back home I ticked House Sparrow in the garden to bring the two day list to 105.








Year list now 105

No comments:

Post a Comment