Wednesday 11 October 2023

Chasing late year ticks

As I've mentioned a few times my worst year list total is 238 and this year I'm in danger of not reaching that total. This is due mainly to family commitments which restrict my birding time but also a lack of motivation to travel too far in search of year ticks, yes there's a level of carbon awareness coupled with financial considerations and of course responsibilities to others.

Having said that I have looked at some of the gaps in the total and considered a few targets as follows.....

Eider
Dipper
Purple Sandpiper
Manx Shearwater
Little Owl
Ring-necked Duck
Crossbill
Ring Ouzel
Great Skua
Black-throated Diver
Iceland Gull
Yellow-browed Warbler
Grey Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
Fudge Duck
Glaucous Gull
Taiga Bean Goose
Little Auk

So these are what I consider realistic targets which would save the year list being remarkable for all the wrong reasons and of course there's always a chance of a rare or two.

Let the games begin!     oh wait I'm baby sitting tomorrow and Saturday and sorting a new carpet for the father in law on Friday so the games might not begin for a few days yet but we live in hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment