Saturday 26 August 2023

Red-backed Shrike at West Canvey marsh.

I had to drive down the A127 today to collect some turf so I took the chance to visit West Canvey marsh arriving mid morning just after the Red-backed Shrike had gone missing. I found a Common Redstart, Whinchat and a Hobby whilst searching for the Shrike and after about ninety minutes I located the Shrike and enjoyed a couple of hours watching it feed mostly at some distance but on a couple of occasions close enough to get me interested with the camera.

I was joined by a few other like minded souls and helped a few get views of the bird until the third downpour got the better of me and I headed for the car and the journey back up the Southend Road for home collecting the turf on route which I laid late afternoon.







year list now 211

Interestingly this is the same place I previously had a juvenile (first winter if you like) way back in 2013 which gave me my best views ever of Red-backed Shrike.

No comments:

Post a Comment