Thursday 5 November 2020

Lesser Yellowlegs at Cley prior to Lockdown part two

Yesterday was the last day before Lockdown Two so I headed up to Norfolk for a day on the coast with the hope that the confiding Lesser Yellowlegs  would still be there and as I arrived at 8am it was showing very well in the flooded fields just east of the road to the coastguards hut. I walked out and papped away for a couple of hours with a small socially distanced group. Occasionally somebody would get a little too close giving me reason to move away but generally it was very safe and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the bird. Obviously being at Cley there was lot's of other action especially from the Pinkies the Beardies and the Brents.

Lesser Yellowlegs

I had a brief look at the sea which was quite calm and gave up a Red-throated Diver, several Gannets mostly juveniles and a few Auks before driving down to Holme via Brancaster and Thornham.
At Holme I found the Dusky Warbler in among the Willows before I got to the trapping area. There was a couple of guys in the area that gave me a good indication of which bush to focus on and that helped as the bird was very shy and elusive staying in the lowest darkest areas of the bushes but could be picked out quite well with binoculars.

Redshank at Brancaster

A great day out as always when I visit Norfolk but traffic heading home was bad and accidents on both the M11 and M25 didn't help but I navigated around it well and my delay was reasonably small thankfully.

Year list as we enter lockdown two is 268

With the new terms of lockdown allowing travel to exercise I may find this one easier to deal with than the last but as I have done all year I'll stay relatively local if I am tempted out further than my local ditch which was home to my Lockdown one patch and where the highlight was a Kingfisher.

Now did somebody say there's a Short-eared Owl two miles from home???









I took 400 images and most are keepers and that makes it hard to pic a few for the blog so apologies for the overload again on this bird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment