Saturday 15 September 2018

Pomarine Skua at South Gare Cleveland

I took a solo run up the A1 today 258miles up the A1 to be precise. Having seen various images on line over the last three weeks I had to take a chance on connecting with the Pom that's stopped off in Cleveland on it's journey south.

My luck was in when I found the bird sitting on the sea wall straight away but it quickly took flight before the camera came out of the bag. I found it again shortly after on the beach but this time it was flushed by a dog walker. Third time lucky and it settled back on the beach and gave me a chance to get the images I'd travelled four hours for.

The bird flew back towards the lighthouse and settled on the sea for about an hour before eventually returning to the beach.

As the tide went out it revealed a rocky ridge and this attracted lot's of Terns to rest on it. Amongst the Sandwich and Commons were some Roseate Terns giving a second year tick for the trip and a couple of Eider ducks drifting along gave me a third year tick.

Guillemot, Gannet, Red-throated Diver, Kittiwake, Wheatear, Bar-Tailed Godwit, Knot, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Turnstone, Redshank, Oystercatcher just some of the supporting cast.

Year list now 237

The reason for the trip!
Pomarine Skua at South Gare Cleveland
What a bird
The Pom
On the prowl
On the sea
As you can imagine I have a few more images so may post a couple later once I've looked through them again.

3 comments:

  1. Great images of a bird normally seen well out at sea. Worth the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Conehead and yes a bit mad but still well worth it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! What personality on the birds!

    ReplyDelete