Sunday 5 August 2018

Titchwell all to ourselves

We left home at 4am Saturday and arrived in the car park at Titchwell two hours later.
The place was empty and we enjoyed a good hour or so before anybody else arrived.

A quick scan into the rising sun failed to find the Lesser Yellowlegs so I continued to the beach which was again totally empty. The wader numbers are so impressive here and on the walk back we enjoyed great views of five Spoonbill at quite close range for a change. From Parinder hide we quickly picked out the Lesser Yellowlegs and then located my first second and third Green Sandpiper of the year before adding another late tick with Spotted Redshank. A Little Gull dropped in and a single Grey and Golden Plover added to the day list before we left for Cley.

At Cley we found another nine Green Sandpipers and more Spoonbills. Another birder thought he'd found a Buff-breasted Sandpiper and put me on it but I then had to tactfully point out it was a Red Knot which took some diplomacy but he eventually conceded the fact. I've only ever seen one Buff-breasted Sandpiper but I've seen a lot of Knot.

The Year list is really struggling along this year and I'm currently down about 22 on this time last year The 2018 list now stands at a very modest 225 but I have had the most special distraction in the form of little George.


Lesser Yellowlegs (last bird on the right of the rocks after the Lapwing and Ruff)
Adult and Juvenile Spoonbill flying in
Spoons for bills
begging
Green Sandpipers

1 comment:

  1. I do love spoonbills, they are so unique. Yes I can imagine little Goerge is a definite distraction!! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete