Tuesday 25 March 2014

Red-necked Grebe at Pitsford

On my journey north yesterday I stopped off to look for the Red-necked Grebe at Pitsford Reservoir in Northampton. I quickly found the dam and after walking only a few feet out I spotted the target bird fishing about 50 yards out. I hoped it would drift closer but had to settle for a record shot.

Red-necked Grebe at Pitsford 
Turning to look behind me I found a Green Sandpiper feeding in the flooded paddock and a Wheatear on the fence before continuing my journey north to Preston. Whilst "up north" I visited Bolton Abbey and will have to return with my good lady when we have time. Goosanders were on the river here and although it looked perfect for Grey Wagtail and Dipper none were seen on my brief visit.
Bolton Abbey
My 230 mile journey home today called for another short diversion to connect with an Osprey at Rutland and I couldn't help but feel for the male bird as it sat lonely on it's perch waiting and hoping that it's partner would also make the return journey safely.

Lonely!
I also grabbed these House Sparrow shots on Sunday in the garden. By feeding all winter and summer I like to think I have helped establish a healthy family unit of House Sparrows and they continue to entertain us daily with their antics.

House Sparrow

House Sparrow close up!
Year list now 159

No comments:

Post a Comment