Sunday 24 February 2013

Couple of quick ticks at Rainham

Squirrell
Blackcap
I spent the morning at home today after yesterdays mega trip. I was entertained by the fight for my garden feeders. The Squirrel is the daddy but when it comes to a straight fight amongst the birds the Blackcap seems to be the boss. He sits the the bush near the feeders and rushes out to defend his territory from all comers. He was challenged today by Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch, Siskin, Great & Blue Tit, Dunnock and House Sparrow but he definately comes out on top.


While the dinner was cooking I dashed over to Rainham for an hour. Nice to make a journey of just 15 miles for a change. No sign of Harriers, Owls or Black Redstart that I'd hoped for but a walk along the foreshore presented Redshank, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, several Snipe, Teal, Gadwall, Mallard, Shelduck, lot's of gulls (mostly blackheaded) Meadow Pipit, Water Pipit, Wren, Cormorant, and I spooked a Common Sandpiper resting on the rocks to give me my 178th year tick before catching my 179th when a Grey Wagtail was seen feeding on the bank.

Grey Wagtail

No comments:

Post a Comment