Tuesday 11 September 2012

Titchwell Baird's Sandpiper revisited

Popped over to the reserve again this morning where I had it to myself from 6am until 7am when other birders joined me.
In the hour from 6am I had great views of the Bairds Sandpiper as it came in with a small flock of LRP's and proceeded to feed twenty feet from the hide. I took a record shot but it was still pretty dark so the image is very grainy to say the least but proof that it came closer than it had all day yesterday.
Bairds Sandpiper

Pink Footed Geese flew off to feed and Spoonbills flew overhead.
The Juvenile Curlew Sandpiper showed well with the Dunlin and  a Bar Tailed Godwit dropped in to feed with the Black Tails for a short while.

A Snipe splashed about just in front of the hide and a small group of Bearded Tits pinged along the reed bed.
Another birder located a Pied Flycatcher at the edge of the Meadow trail but I failed to see it.

A cracking couple of hours before breakfast and I have to say I love it here especially when I have the whole reserve to myself.

Freshmarsh Titchwell
After a little retail therapy for the wife and a little lunch on the sea front at Wells Next the sea I find myself back at Titchwell where after a few minutes in the hide I decide that with the wind picking up a sea watch is in order.
A good couple of hours in good company revealed a distant Balearic Shearwater on my first watch followed by a close Manx Shearwater on my second shift. Two Great Skua came together and almost flew over our heads. Several Arctic Skua flew past very close top the shoreline and Gannets dived in the distance. Close in we had two Eider ducks and a Common Scoter whilst several Scoter flew past. A diver flew past (possible RT) and a couple of GC Grebes also I called as an Auk flew west. (Opinion was for Guillemot but I'm not sure as it was a long way out)
On the wader front some Grey Plover with one male in full breeding plumage really looking good, lot's of Sanderling, Knot, Oyster Catcher, Barwits etc and good numbers of Spotted Redshank and Greenshank along with a good few Snipe on Brackish Marsh.

All in all a very enjoyable afternoons birding.

Sea Watching from Titchwell


The new viewing screen over Fresh Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment