Wednesday 30 May 2012

Bempton Cliffs

Having to do back to back presentations in Darlington on Tuesday and Wednesday involving a stop over I find myself leaving Darlington at 11am today for the 255 mile journey home. Now the sensible thing would be to drive straight home but as Bempton Cliffs are only a 40 mile detour I cannot miss the opportunity for a first trip to this RSPB reserve. Before I leave Darlington I find a couple of minutes to photograph the impressive Train sculpture made of Brick by artist David Mach.
Train
On the drive into Bempton the roundabout has another large sculpture this time a Shepherd with his sheep and it's life size like the train so again I find a space to pull over and get a snap.

Shepherd of Yorkshire
Pulling into Bempton town the reserve is well signposted and a simple turn past the village pub (which has a tremendous tiled blue ceramic roof) and within a couple of minutes I'm on the reserve that has been on my destination list for a good while now but being some 240miles from home I usually find something a little more local.

The car park is free to members but £5 per car for the rest of us.
I duly oblige and I'm off through the small visitor centre and after a very short walk I'm on the cliffs looking at Puffin, Guillemot, Razorbill, Gannets, Kittiwakes and Fulmars and lot's of all species.
Throw in Tree Sparrows around the feeders and the place is alive and well worth a return at some point when I have more time (and a better lens)


Gannet Bempton Cliffs

Tree Sparrow Bempton Cliffs
Great reserve and one I'll be visiting again some time. The 240 mile drive home throws up good views of several Kestrel and Buzzard along with two Sprawks and two Red Kites from the A1...I know I just can't help myself....always on the look out!
Right! now back to work...two days email to catch up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment