Saturday 17 August 2024

Semi palmated Sandpiper at Ferry Pool Pagham LNR

I've just enjoyed a week at Butlins in Bognor with two of my three grandchildren so took the opportunity to visit Pagham LNR on route to the venue being just nine miles away. I stopped at the car park of Pagham LNR and walked down the path to Ferry hide which overlooks Ferry pool. The Semi-palmated Sandpiper was out on the pool keeping close company with a single Curlew Sandpiper making it easy to pick out. There were a few Lapwing, Blackwits and Avocet on the scrape with them and the far back edge of the pool had a single Green and Common Sandpiper. This is only the third Semi-palmated Sandpiper I've seen following the one at East Tilbury in 2011 and Titchwell in 2019.

Semi-palmated Sandpiper with Curlew Sandpiper

The waders of Ferry pool 

Semi P (Centre)

Ferry pool Pagham LNR

I drove down to Church Norton were I found what appeared to be a Pied Flycatcher high in the trees behind the churchyard but after the initial sighting I failed to pick it up again despite a good search. Once out on the sand I set about scanning the waders. Over fifty Ringed Plover were present with a couple of Dunlin among them. Four Greenshank were very distant and lot's of Whimbrel and Curlew fed along the mud banks. A single Redshank and several Ostercatcher were also noted before a single Wheatear was seen on the concrete bank and a couple of Sandwich Terns came and went whilst I was there.  The only other birds present were Little Egret, Grey Heron and a few Black-headed Gull.

Year list now 225 

The week with the grandkids was a joy of course, swimming, shows, rides, swimming shows rides repeat! I know I'm so lucky to have this time with them and I don't take a moment of it for granted.

I've stayed at many holiday camps over the years and although they aren't my holiday venue of choice these days it has to be said that Butlins remains the flag bearer for them all. Clean, well managed , lot's of staff that are all geared to looking after the visitors and my grandkids had a blast from the first to the last minute.






No comments:

Post a Comment