Sunday 20 August 2023

Landguard

Friday saw a Booted Warbler reported at Landguard which Jim still wants as a lifer but unfortunately I had plans involving the grandchildren so couldn't get him there but I did take him on Saturday morning hoping the overnight rain might have kept the bird down.

We arrived at first light to find it very windy on the point and we spent four hours searching the compound and surrounding areas but failed to find the target bird. We did year tick Pied Flycatcher and had lovely views of Lesser Whitethroats too. A couple of Willow Warblers and two Wheatears were the only other migrants we spotted apart from a fleeting glimpse of an elusive warbler that we couldn't fully ID but thought it to be a Chiffchaff.

A Ringed Plover out on the common was protecting its two very small chicks and we had a fly over Sparrowhawk and Kestrel whilst scanning for a very elusive Wryneck seen by only one person during the morning. The Common held a very large flock of Linnet and Goldfinch but overall what promised to be a good migrant day fell a little flat but it was still great to be out birding for a while.

Ringed Plover chick

Ringed Plover

I have recently contemplated the trip to Scilly for the Red-footed Booby but not quite got myself to cross the line and break my Scilly duck but I think it could be coming some time, maybe I'll get a week away down in Cornwall and use that as my opportunity to finally get over to the islands.

In other bird news I had a Sparrowhawk visit the garden in the rain last week and managed a picture through the kitchen window and my House Sparrow garden count has now exceeded 60.

Sparrowhawk

Year list now 210


No comments:

Post a Comment