Wednesday 25 January 2023

Med Gulls at Southend

I had to drop my son to an appointment in Rayleigh today so took the opportunity to look for Mediterranean Gulls on Southend beach. Armed with a loaf of bread I drew in the locals which were mostly Black-headed Gulls with the odd Common, Lesser-black back and Herring Gull. Amongst the large frenzy coming to my bread were several Med Gulls including first winters, second winters and adult birds.

Adult With Gold

2nd winter Med Gull

1st winter

1st winter

1st winter

2nd winter




Later I moved on to Wallasea were I enjoyed good but distant views of two (possibly three) Ring-tailed Hen Harrier and a Barn Owl. On the lagoons were plenty of waders including Grey Plover, Avocet, Dunlin, Redstart and Black-tailed Godwit. Time ran out fast before I had to leave to pick my son up for the return journey up the A127 and home.





The pointless year list is now 145 

No comments:

Post a Comment