Sunday 10 May 2015

Ptarmigan at Applecross

We drove through the pass of the cattle to Applecross and stopped at the top car park some 2053 feet above sea level. The views from the car park are quite stunning but if you feel fit enough to tackle the last few hundred feet on foot then the views are even more spectacular so I walked to the top.
On the way up I heard Ptarmigan call and then looked up to find a pair crossing the path in front of me. I walked away from them and sat down on a ridge with the light behind me. As other walkers came along the birds moved off the path and towards me so my plan worked and I enjoyed some really close views of this special mountain grouse.

Male Ptarmigan
Male Ptarmigan


Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan

Female Ptarmigan

Male and female Ptarmigan
One of those moments you dream off as a birder and It will live long in the memory for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment