Monday 5 November 2012

Weekend in Norfolk

The wife booked a cottage for the weekend as a treat and invited my two boys and their girls along.
The cottage was in North Creake with great views over the Holkham Estate.
Brancaster Staithe
The garden had Barn Owls visiting it and from the kitchen window we saw Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Coal Tit, Sparrowhawk, Fieldfare along with a host of more common garden visitors.
Standing in the garden on Friday evening I heard my first Long Eared Owl of 2012 followed by Tawny Owl calling. On the drive from the cottage to Cley on Saturday morning I saw a Little Owl and no fewer than fifteen Barn Owls.
This is Owl country for sure and I add Short Eared Owl before the mornings out too.
At Stiffkey I pick up distant Harriers one of which is called Hen Harrier by other birders present but for me it really was too distant to say.
Cley revealed a couple of Little Auks,Lot's of Guillemot, Gannet,  Marsh Harriers and a nice Kingfisher.
Brancaster Staithe
As a family we had a really nice walk through Holkham Pines and down to the sea where we found the Sanderling very entertaining as ever.
At Brancaster Staithe the Ringed Plover came close and a couple of Merganser dived in the bay.
I took the family to Morston Quay where I found a Spotted Redshank showing well and at Wells I spotted a Shag while the boys tried to catch a crab.
Seven Waxwing flew over Holkham as we approached and Geese numbers increase with every trip.
The rest of the weekend was spent enjoying each others company, eating well...a little too well , having a bit to drink and keeping the fire flaming.

The boys were kind and took a general interest in the birds particularly enjoying the Barn Owls and a Buzzard that kindly sat in view from the garden.


Shag at Wells

Sanderling at Holkham

Spotted Redshank Morston Quay

Wells

Holkham
I think it's safe to say all enjoyed the weekend and would like to return.

My son took a few shots whilst we were away......No idea who got him interested in photography????
good shots though........


Holkham Gap
Holkham
Holkham beach
Tia's print

3 comments:

  1. Greetings! Quick question that's entirely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My blog looks weird when browsing from my iphone4. I'm trying to find a
    template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.

    If you have any recommendations, please share. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no, I'm not sure I can help resolve that one. sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz answer back as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like
    to know where u got this from. appreciate it

    ReplyDelete