Wednesday 26 July 2023

A day out in Essex

I said I'd make more effort to get out and about so with a free day today I headed up to Abberton reservoir for first light. I found yesterdays Wood Sandpiper with a Green and four Common Sandpipers. A Kingfisher perched in a distant Willow, the same trees that held breeding Grey Heron, Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets and a single nest of Spoonbill that held four almost fully grown chicks and kept both parents busy feeding them whilst I was there.

Common Sandpiper

Grey Heron

Spoonbill nest top left, Cattle Egret nest bottom right

Spoonbill nest also in the picture nesting Cattle and Little Egret along with Grey Herons.

The Slavonian Grebe showed well from the causeway too and was great to see in it's summer plumage.



Following a tip off I headed to the car park at Fingrinhoe Wick where I watched two Osprey first sat on posts out on the salt marsh then both in flight ironically headed in the direction of Abberton.

On the journey home down the A12 I took the short diversion to Hanningfield where I found plenty of Red-crested Pochard and the newly arrived Ruddy Shelduck. On the wader front just 13 Black-tailed Godwits and some Lapwing but it was good to see breeding Pochard on site.


Pochard

Pochard

The Ruddy Shelduck amongst the Red-crested Pochard

Year list now 208

Finally got a picture of the vixen visiting my garden



No comments:

Post a Comment