Wednesday 11 January 2023

Bittern at Lee Valley

The reedbed infront of the Bittern hide at Fishers Green always seems to attract a wintering Bittern but when the new watchpoint was built I feared they may not find the small reedbed so attractive. I need not have worried as this year a bird returned in the autumn and remains on site still. The reeds are quite flat which I suppose is a result of all the snow we had a couple of weeks back and this makes it easier to see the Bittern in certain areas of the reeds.

I've visited a couple of times this year and today the bird showed quite well for a short period remaining well hidden for most of the time though. I added Green Woodpecker and Water Rail to my pointless year list whilst waiting for the Bittern to show.

Year list now 118







No comments:

Post a Comment