Wednesday 6 July 2022

Turkestan Shrike at Bempton

On 27th June news broke of a Red-tailed Shrike being found at Bempton Cliffs RSPB but it was quickly lost to view after presumably coming in off the sea. On 28th the bird was refound a mile or so from Bempton Cliffs at the local piggery before moving to Wandale farm on 29th June were it appeared to settle. A fee of £10 was negotiated with the farm owner to allow birders access and so the games began with birders from all over the country trying to connect with what I believe is only the eighth record for Britain.

I had wanted to visit Bempton at some point in an attempt to connect with the summering Albatross again so it wasn't too much of a strain when I found myself with a free day on 5th July and let the Jims know of my intentions. They agreed on the plan and we set off at 2am for the 220 mile 4 hour trip up north. The A1 and the M62 night closures made the journey an hour longer so we arrived at 7am. I dropped the Jims at the track to the farm and continued on to the RSPB car park which meant I had to walk about half a mile back to the track. The walk along the track was about a mile I suppose but I caught up with the Jims and paid the £10 to get in. A couple of cars were parked on the grass at the entrance to the farm and another had driven up the drive and parked in the farm where the farmer said he was happy for people with mobility issues to park there for a short visit. I wish I'd known that when I dropped Dad off at the track. A birder that had parked at the farm did offer to drop Dad back at the car park which was nice.

I asked the farmer which charity the money was going to but he said it hadn't been decided yet.

The twitch

Once paid I was on the bird straight away as it sat in a small line of bushes behind the barn and I enjoyed good views for around an hour grabbing a few shots too. The bird has a mark on it's chest which seems to fit with the bird seen in Holland back in May this year and the bird appears to be in moult so could be in the area quite a while.

Turkestan Shrike

Turkestan Shrike

Turkestan Shrike

Turkestan Shrike

After enjoying the bird we walked further up the track towards the cliffs and started our visit proper to Bempton Cliffs RSPB. The Albatross was on the sea close to Flamborough but we failed to see it and it never came in until late evening by which time we were travelling home. The Gannets, Razorbill, Guillemot and Kittiwakes covered the cliffs scattered with good numbers of Puffin and Fulmar. Two Shag were seen for another year tick and there were plenty of Tree Sparrows. Bempton is a firm favourite of ours and it's a real shame its so far from home.

Gannet

Third year Gannet

Jackdaw

Kittiwakes

Puffin

Puffins

Tree Sparrow

A Peregrine was seen and others had a few Manx Shearwaters but I missed them.

Fingers crossed I get to return and see Albert again at some point

On a positive note and god knows we all need one, Bempton at this point seems to have been spared the effects of Bird flu with wardens reporting no evidence of the disease so far.

Year list now 224

Life list now 432

No comments:

Post a Comment